LAUREN PARSONS' PUMKIN PIE
- 3 cups roasted pumpkin*
- 1 cup dates
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp each ground ginger and nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
1) Roast the pumpkin with a dash of water, covered in aluminium foil at 200 degrees C for 40 minutes until soft (leaving skin on and in one large piece is fine.)
*Note you can use any sort of pumpkin. To avoid any chopping it is good to buy half a butternut cut lengthways, or quarter of a crown pumpkin pre-cut.
2) Add the dates and water to your food processor and leave to soak while the pumpkin roasts. Grease or line your pie dish.
3) Once pumpkin is cooked allow it to cool a little and reduce oven to 160 degrees C. Blend the dates until smooth. Spoon out the pumpkin flesh measuring 3 cup into the processor and blend until smooth.
4) Add the milk, oil, and vanilla. Blend well, then add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour the mixture into your prepared pie dish and bake for 40 minutes at 160 degrees C.
5) Allow it to cool then transfer to the fridge to set for 4-6 hours before slicing. Serve with natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.